Leggo my Lego!

Okay, so that title is a bit old...

So is Lego. And old things are sometimes the best. It's just been there all these years, serving to give expression to the imaginations of everyone from 5 to about a 100 years old. I don't know anything about Lego apart from the fact that it is plastic, it is sometimes decorated (although my first Lego wasn't, I was left to decorate it with a black marker) and if you have any talent, you can create projects that would put the Petronas Towers to shame.

I remember my first ever Lego set. Sadly it never gave me the "just out of the box" feeling that is the reason most companies make so much money off parents of little children. There is no way I will ever allow any future children or grandchildren to waste their time with the all new "Shrek Magical (erm... shiny) Card and Button set". How can anyone not see that that is an utter waste of time?


So anyway, my first Lego set... It was supposed to be some sort of a helicopter and its base set. I'm still a little confused as to what happened to the cockpit. It was my brother's and he had it before I was born (I THINK... I might have just been at that age where little babies are fascinated by little things that can fit down their oesophagus without hindrance). We (Me and my brother) used to convert the floor of my room into a city by drawing chalk lines (which I had to clean up most of the time) across the floor to mark out the roads, junctions, pavements and an air base (I dunno if you get what I'm talking about, an airbase in India is usually a complete complex, with it's own shops, houses, economy, association, runway, hangars and airplanes). Then there'd be the building the walls and gates with Lego. I botched up the gate decoration everytime with things like, "Do Not Enter, You Will be SHOT"... But anyway, that's a different story. I would have put a picture, but the Lego is locked away in a box. Yes, I plan on keeping it forever.

Then there'd be the toy cars that would always be responding to some emergency call or the other. We didn't have any terrorists back then (Well, okay, I didn't know about them), so the only people who could attack us was the Cobra team. Sadly I didn't get my Skystriker until a few years later, and then it was too late. Hot wheels was a luxury in those days, actually anything Mattel was a luxury. So even though I never had one complete set of toys, and the gate to the airbase was a stick compared to the car, I couldn't have asked for a happier childhood. I wish children now could discover some of the things that I discovered and actually imagine instead of waiting for a Nintendo Wii to imagine it for them. Entire worlds can be created and destroyed at will.

Ah, the good old days... I hate growing up...

Crap... I really should be working on "meeting my deadline"... Funny the learning center lady hasn't logged me off the network yet... If you're reading this... you're the most awesome learning center lady ever... :)

 

9 comments. Share an Idea ]:

Sushmita Dutta said... 30 January 2008 at 12:49  

i luv this...entire childhood memories n all!!! i wont comment on the negative stuff that you wrote...
but yes, childhood is one thing you cannnot and will not EVER forget...and what better than the memories of your 'toys' to express those feelings!!! i wasnt really a fan of LEGO...but yea i had a plane once made of lego.. :)

Elise said... 30 January 2008 at 13:19  

Oh my God! I love Lego. In fact I love all the toys that I grew up with. Thats for bringing back happy memories xx

Miss Caught Up said... 30 January 2008 at 19:54  

Thanks for the computer back up comment! I actually do some online back ups, but for huge files over a GB can be a little hard to do.. I'm actually going to our company's IT to see if they have a hard drive enclosure so I can back up the stuff from my dead puter :( Thanks again for reading! and the whole Lego thing! I love Legos! I used to love building Legos as a child...

HeatherrrEloise said... 3 February 2008 at 18:17  

I had legos.
I had barbies.
I had pokemon cards.
I had one of those little houses in the backyard.


Oh man, my mind would run wild with the few things I had.
I didn't really start playing video games until I was about fifteen.
(except for gameboy for pokemon and tetris)
I think they are fun, but nothing beats the fun me and my friends (or me and my sisters) could have with a simple pokemon card.
Or a barbie.
Or a new set of legos.

We had some awesome adventures.

Quarter Past Seven said... 4 February 2008 at 15:51  

I linked your blog to mine! heh

Quarter Past Seven said... 4 February 2008 at 15:57  

p.s I was scared of stuffed toys as a kid. In fact I still am. and clowns make me cry. My childhood was mainly made up of playing outdoor games (sometimes even inside the house)..and fighting. I beat a guy up when I was 12. Not kidding.

jeff said... 7 February 2008 at 19:15  

i was never much a lego man..er..boy. not much an action figure enthusiast either. i wonder what i did for fun when i was a kid...hmmm...

Rock 'n Roll Aint Noise Pollution said... 24 February 2008 at 21:06  

dooood.
my whole life was spent around lego.
i have like 14 years worth of Lego
the other day
i took it all out
and remade a whole fuckin huge spacecraft
and you have no idea how satisfying it was.
it was fucking All i did
i remember i built a HUGE ass fortress with everysingle piece i had ( trust me it was like FUCKING HUGE like atleast 2-3 feet high ) and i didnt talk to anyone for a week after someone broke it :|.
Lego is like something all kids should have the privilege of having it!

Unknown said... 28 March 2009 at 08:01  

haha.. you forgot about the cars we used to make from garden chairs in kanpur.. with the gullwing doors even.

Post a Comment