The People in the Signs

Before I apply for a driver's license theory test, I have to spend endless hours looking at a computer screen and answering random questions about the road and it's rules. This involves some staring at those road signs telling me of cyclists, pedestrians, trams, buses and whatnot.

These signs are actually quite interesting (yes, that's how bored I get these days), because I love extracting stories and stuff from them. I do this particularly from the road signs depicting people, and the "elderly people" sign always evokes something in me... Don't ask me why.

The UK elderly people sign that is... Everytime I see it somewhere, it I see some weird sort of shadow person on white background love, because I can see two old people bent with age, holding hands (HOLDING HANDS), and struggling to walk while the man bravely leads his woman on in front of her with a stick. I think, 'Well, he must be a very caring husband, and she the perfect doting wife to him. Just look at the way they stick to each other even after their backs are bent with struggle and age.'


Another sign is the pedestrians sign (no, not the pedestrian crossing sign). The sign makes me think of strong father figure who cares about his little girl and would do anything to protect her from the world and, well, what with so much crap in the world that's hard to see sometimes.

Okay, so there was no real point to this and I now look crazy, but does anybody else ever notice these things?

 

8 comments. Share an Idea ]:

Arielle Fragassi said... 13 January 2008 at 18:35  

Old People signs, that's great! I would steal one and put it in my parents' yard or something, haha. I've never seen one of those around here, we may not have those in the US.

Astro Galaxy said... 14 January 2008 at 07:25  

I personally think signs are great. Once, I even thought of collecting road signs but gave the idea up because it'll be too expensive and my lack of space!

Elise said... 14 January 2008 at 14:51  

No you're not alone Brat... I do the same thing. When I started studying for my theory test years ago I used to pretend the people were all related. The children, the parents, Grandma and Grandpa

um..okay I'm going to stop before I get to the road side cliffs and the suicidal part of the family

xx

HeatherrrEloise said... 15 January 2008 at 04:05  

The old person sign is cute.
Aw.
I want someone to help me walk
when I get old.
I would love to see that sign everyday.
It would help brighten my days.
Lol.

Anonymous said... 15 January 2008 at 11:43  

um...i live in india and WE DON'T HAVE SIGNS! lol... yeah you're just expected to have a sixth sense about these things..and plus the roads are occasionally blocked with random things like overturned cars and cows and other large obtrusive objects..so we just rely on sight rather than on a signboard(which would ,in all probability ,be broken by someone and sold as scrap metal)..
~tanu~

Anonymous said... 17 January 2008 at 00:05  

i've never seen those signs, but i totally see what you see.

Bum Atom said... 17 January 2008 at 22:12  

I post pics of signs too, I like the old people they almost look dirty, all hunched like that haha, I spend to much time obeying the road signs, but hey your learning to drive alright, I'm all for that just don't ride my ass, imagine driving where Tanu drives Hardcore

Amber L. said... 5 March 2008 at 20:03  

In my town, there's a sign that says "speed law strongly inforced by radar"
and a picture of a cop on a motorcycle holding out a radar gun that looks too much like a real gun that kills people!

if you couldn't read english you might be afraid of the cops!!!

Post a Comment